Since I really have nothing personal up, here's a picture of my dog from last Christmas. I'm thinking maybe she should be an Oompa Loompa for Halloween ...
I graduated from college in 1983. Computers were just starting to appear in the college setting. They were somewhat of a curiosity and very few had the forsight to know how ubiquitous they would become. I spent the next 20 years barely using a computer. When I decided I wanted to become a librarian I had to accept that technology was a large part of the package. It terrified me quite frankly. I learn something new daily and after nearly 2 years in the program I still feel I have much to learn. I am always so grateful that this is a field in which our peers generously share information and help one another when they can. I remember a former law student talking about law students hiding books in the library after they had used them. This would prevent fellow students from finding the answers! We are so lucky we don't have to deal with that viscious competitveness.
I have found that library students are different than the competetive nature of the school system many of us were exposed to throughout our previous educational opportunities. Maybe it is because librarianship is about the sharing of information and knowledge and this encourages a more generous learning atmosphere. On techno-anxiety, I was intimidated last semester when I took 7301, yet I found I was not alone. I mean if we knew all the answers, why take the class, right? New technology can be intimidating yet I've found I could learn HTML, for instance, and create my own web page. As booked1 has suggested, I too am grateful for the rewards of the Library Science field.
2 comments:
I graduated from college in 1983. Computers were just starting to appear in the college setting. They were somewhat of a curiosity and very few had the forsight to know how ubiquitous they would become. I spent the next 20 years barely using a computer. When I decided I wanted to become a librarian I had to accept that technology was a large part of the package. It terrified me quite frankly. I learn something new daily and after nearly 2 years in the program I still feel I have much to learn. I am always so grateful that this is a field in which our peers generously share information and help one another when they can. I remember a former law student talking about law students hiding books in the library after they had used them. This would prevent fellow students from finding the answers! We are so lucky we don't have to deal with that viscious competitveness.
I have found that library students are different than the competetive nature of the school system many of us were exposed to throughout our previous educational opportunities. Maybe it is because librarianship is about the sharing of information and knowledge and this encourages a more generous learning atmosphere. On techno-anxiety, I was intimidated last semester when I took 7301, yet I found I was not alone. I mean if we knew all the answers, why take the class, right? New technology can be intimidating yet I've found I could learn HTML, for instance, and create my own web page. As booked1 has suggested, I too am grateful for the rewards of the Library Science field.
Post a Comment