Friday, October 5, 2007

Keeping Kids Safe Online

Just when I thought I couldn’t think of anything else to write about, inspiration struck via the radio on my way to work Thursday morning. The two DJs were talking about Miss America 2007, Lauren Nelson, a twenty-year-old Lawton, Oklahoma, native, who attends the University of Central Oklahoma . They were recounting a story of how Ms. Nelson’s own chatting at a young age with a group of friends resulted in inappropriate contact with a predator.

Thankfully, her case ended well when she notified her parents, who then notified the proper authorities. Since then, it has become her mission to help keep kids safe online. To further her cause, Ms. Nelson has been working with Symantec Corp., a security software company, to help educate parents and children about dangers on the Internet.

I think it’s absolutely great when people use their celebrity status to further worthy causes. While I don’t yet have children of my own, I need 2 hands to count my godchildren. Many of them are now getting old enough to be online, and I want to know that they’re safe when exploring the wonderful world of cyberspace.

For more info, visit:

http://www.missamericakids.com/?gclid=CPri1_Cq9Y4CFSCTWAodBAf2Eg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268229,00.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2007-06-18-3351018560_x.htm

1 comment:

Bradley said...

I have two daughters and therefore a vested interest in this topic. Like so many topics dealing with children the first thoughts that cross my mind are "what have the parents done to teach the children" and "how concerned or interested are parents?" Unfortunately I find that most parents are in the negative on these questions, and while I hesitate to blame parents I cannot deny the important role they play in protecting their children.